Did you know that you can paint your grass so that it stays beautifully green? If you just can’t deal with looking at how brown or yellow your grass is, especially when it’s dormant, you should reach for spray paint for your grass.
Is lawn paint bad for your grass? A quality lawn paint will contain non-toxic, natural ingredients so that it doesn’t damage your grass. It should still allow your grass to grow, so it’s just a great temporary coverup for dead patches.
Here are our top picks for the best spray paint for grass. We rundown their pros and cons so you can choose which one is best for you.
Best Overall: EnviroColor 4EG0032
It’s especially ideal for Bermuda grass and it can be used for a variety of reasons, such as if your grass has disease spots or pet stains.
You’ll love that it’s really easy to use – you just have to use a pump sprayer. This paint will dry quickly, but it’s recommended to avoid walking on it for 24 hours.
You can experiment with this lawn paint color to see how green you want your grass, as you can dilute it a bit more if you want a lighter green color, such as if you’re hoping your lawn to look a bit more realistic and you want it to match your existing lawn.
Be sure to read the product instructions on the back of the bottle so that you use and dilute it correctly!
This is a non-toxic, water-based product that’s safe for use around the home, children, pets, and wildlife in your area. Results can last for up to two or three months, guaranteeing that you don’t have to put in a lot of work to make your grass look stunning.
- Color: Green
- Area Treated: 1,000 sq ft
- Weight: 2.5 lbs
Runner Up: Endurant Pre-Mixed
It can work on any type of grass you’ve planted in your garden, and it’s completely natural so you don’t have to worry about exposing yourself, your family, and your grass to harmful chemicals.
This product contains organic pigments that color your lawn while being safe for pets and the environment. Not just safe, this lawn paint is easy to use. You don’t have to worry about measuring or mixing solutions before you can apply it to your lawn.
It has an easy point-and-spray feature for simple applications. This also makes it easy to match your grass’s natural color, and you can apply one or more coats to achieve the best color for your lawn.
This lawn paint dries quickly – it will cure within a few hours – and it’s highly resilient so that it can handle foot traffic and pets, so it’s great if you want to start using your garden soon after applying it.
- Color: Warm-season green
- Area Treated: 10-15 sq ft
- Weight: 1.19 lbs
Alternative: LawnStar Dog Spot Repair
This makes it a quick-fix product that you can use to revitalize your lawn and make it look green all over.
It comes pre-mixed so it’s easy to apply to any spots where the grass has brown patches. This takes less than two minutes to achieve, and it will cover between 50 and 75 square feet with ease.
It’s totally safe for use around pets and kids, plus it won’t harm your plants so you can use it without concern for their health or the environment.
This spot repair lawn paint has a beautiful green hue that looks natural and can be matched with a variety of grass types. It also blends really well with your current grass so people won’t be able to tell where you’ve applied it. This gives your lawn a professional-looking result.
This is the perfect lawn paint to reach for when you want to quickly cover up brown or urine spots from your pets when you have guests coming over for a garden party.
- Color: Green
- Area Treated: 50-75 sq ft
- Weight: 2.14 lbs
Alternative: PetraTools Grass Paint
It’s a ready-to-use formula that covers any areas where your lawn isn’t looking as green as it should, as it’s made with pigment technology that improves the vibrancy of your lawn.
This prevents you from feeling stressed about maintaining your lawn because it can tackle problems with it immediately. You can use this lawn paint on all types of grass and it’s really gentle on your lawn so you don’t have to worry about it damaging your grass.
It’s made with natural ingredients that won’t harm your grass growth, that’s safe for use around pets and kids, and is safe for wildlife in the area.
You’ll love how it can be applied to your grass really quickly. You don’t have to mix it with anything- just shake the bottle well and then spray it on any areas that are in need of refreshing.
A few sprays of this lawn paint are all that’s needed to give your lawn a lovely color so it will look like real grass.
- Color: Green
- Area Treated: Approx. 200 sq ft
- Weight: 2 pounds
Alternative: Lawnlift Ultra Concentrated
It won’t fade and you won’t have to worry about the product affecting the healthy growth of your grass.
This lawn paint can be sprayed from a distance so that it’s applied in a fine mist, and this helps it to blend into the surrounding grass. It also ensures that the lawn will look natural. This is actually a good tip to follow so that you get the best results that look like your lawn is naturally healthy.
One of the problems with other lawn paints on the market is that they are saturated with color that can start to look greenish-blue after application.
To prevent this from happening, Lawnlift makes use of eco-friendly, natural true-color pigments so that you get a gorgeous green color that you won’t be able to see in your lawn because it blends so well with your grass.
What you’ll love about this product is that you can use it to cover your entire lawn or just apply it to some small brown spots in it, so it’s your go-to lawn paint product that has various applications.
- Color: Green
- Area Treated: 500 sq ft
- Weight: 1.03 lbs
Lawn Paint FAQ
If you want to use paint on your lawn, you might wonder if it’s really safe, or you might have other questions. Read on to find out everything you need to know about the best lawn paints and how to use them for the best results.
Are lawn paints safe?
Earlier, we touched on how top-quality lawn paints contain biodegradable, natural ingredients that won’t harm your grass. They therefore also won’t be harmful to your pets, kids, or the environment, so you can use them safely.
As with any type of lawn paint you decide to use on your grass, make sure that you follow its instructions properly so that you don’t run into any problems, like getting a too saturated color on your grass or ending up with stains on your concrete driveways.
The great thing about lawn paints is that they are usually safe to walk on shortly after they’ve been applied because of how they dry very quickly. Some take just a few hours to completely dry. In addition, they don’t have a weird smell, which further makes them pleasant to use.
What’s the best time to use lawn paint?
If you have some yellow or brown areas on your lawn, then it’s the perfect time to use lawn paint to cover them up so that your grass can look greener and healthier. This will ensure that these unsightly patches can be covered up and look good while the grass grows.
You should exercise some caution when thinking about using lawn paint all year round, though. This is something that points to a bigger problem with your lawn – if it’s always looking patchy or dead, then that’s a sign that your grass is dying.
There are bigger problems that you need to deal with, such as ensuring your grass gets enough nutrients so that it can thrive. Covering up the grass with lawn paint is only a temporary solution that won’t solve any larger underlying problems with your grass.
What kind of paint do you use on grass?
Most of the lawn paints on the market will contain natural ingredients that are safe for use on grass. These paints usually contain pulverized kaolin, which is a soft stone, while some products will contain decaying plants.
These products get their lush green hue by containing pigment-based dyes. These dyes stay on the surface of the grass without getting in the way of the sun’s rays. Therefore, they won’t prevent the grass from growing.
Many of these lawn paints are ready to use, while others can be mixed with water, but generally, they’re easy to apply to your lawn.
What do golf courses use to keep the grass green?
If you’ve ever looked at the grass on a golf course and wondered how it’s kept so green, there are actually some essential lawn maintenance rules that are followed.
- Golf courses are aerated so small holes in the fairways can encourage oxygen, nutrients, and water to get into the roots of the grass. This assists the growth of deeper roots so that the grass can grow healthy and green.
- Golf courses are fertilized regularly so that they give the grass enough nitrogen and potassium to keep it strong and tolerant of extreme temperatures.
- Golf courses are irrigated with sprinkler heads and nozzles to ensure that the correct water levels are maintained. The watering cycles are scheduled at both dawn and dusk so that moisture is maintained. The use of high-tech irrigation control systems are also encouraged.
- Golf courses can also use hydroponic systems to grow healthy green grass. How it works is that a hole that’s around 13 inches deep is made, and sometimes it’s lined with plastic before drainage pipes and gravel are added. This encourages the best drainage for the soil. Then, the surface of the green is shaped in such a way that it will prevent water runoff.
- Finally, golf courses are usually treated with grass paints that spruce up their color so they always look vibrant.
How do I make my grass look like a golf course?
If you love the idea of trying to make your lawn look as beautiful as a golf course, you can follow smart tips to achieve your goal. Here are some to consider.
- Follow the best mowing practices. Don’t cut your grass too short as this will make the blades of grass not get enough sunlight. It also makes your grass susceptible to weeds and disease. Set your lawnmower blades to about 3.5 inches for the best cutting height, use a different mowing pattern every time you cut your grass so that you keep the grass blades straight, and sharpen your mower blades approximately every 25 hours of use to keep them in good nick.
- Use fertilizer correctly. You should fertilize your lawn about four times per year, and this is best done in early spring, late spring, fall, and late in the summer. Before doing this, test your soil with a soil testing kit so you can see what fertilizer levels it requires so you give your grass the appropriate amounts of phosphorus, potassium, and nitrogen.
- Irrigate your lawn. You can do this most effectively by installing an irrigation system. This ensures that your lawn gets watered all over. If you don’t use an irrigation system, aim to water your lawn once a week for about an hour and a half. This will ensure that the roots get soaked so they will become stronger as well as grow longer.
- Keep weeds at bay. Watering and mowing your grass properly will naturally keep weeds away, but make sure you pull out any weeds you see and pull out their roots otherwise they’ll grow back. If you choose to use a herbicide, opt for a selective one – this will kill off your weeds but not harm any other vegetation.
If you’re dealing with a lawn that looks a bit spotty and brown in places, it can ruin the appearance of your garden. While encouraging healthier grass, such as by properly mowing and watering it, is always the best long-term solution for your lawn, you can make it look better in the short term by purchasing spray paint for grass.
In this article, we’ve looked at the best green grass lawn spray reviews, what you should know about them, and if they’re right for your lawn. Don’t settle for brown spots in your lawn! Keep your lawn luscious and green with the best spray paint for grass.